If there’s one thing that can transform the mood and atmosphere of a bedroom, it’s good lighting. And one of the most effective lighting solutions that has emerged in recent years is the hanging bedside light. This type of lighting not only looks great but also provides practical benefits. In this article, we’ll explore why hanging bedside lights are becoming increasingly popular, as well as provide some tips on how to choose and use them.
Why Choose Hanging Bedside Lights?
Traditionally, bedside lamps have been the go-to source for nighttime lighting in the bedroom. However, hanging bedside lights are gaining popularity for several reasons:
- Space-saving: Hanging bedside lights help save space on the bedside table, making it easier to keep essential items like books, phones, and glasses within reach.
- Style factor: Hanging lights come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and styles, allowing you to choose a fixture that complements your bedroom’s decor and personal style.
- Flexibility: Hanging lights are often adjustable, allowing you to angle the light in the direction you need it most. This can be particularly useful for reading or working in bed.
Choosing the Right Hanging Bedside Lights
When choosing a hanging bedside light fixture, consider the following factors:
Size and Placement
Consider the space you have available and the size of your bed. Typically, hanging lights should be at least 22 inches above the top of your mattress, but this can vary depending on the height of your headboard and ceiling. Select a light that complements the size and style of your bed and allows you to adjust it easily if necessary.
Choose the type of lighting that suits your needs. If you primarily use your bedside light for reading, consider a fixture with a warm, direct light. If you prefer a softer, ambient glow, opt for a fixture with a diffused or indirect light source. Some hanging lights even provide both types of lighting, giving you the best of both worlds.
Style and Material
Consider the style and material of the light fixture, as this will determine how it looks in your bedroom. If you prefer a minimalist, modern aesthetic, choose a fixture with a sleek, simple design. If you prefer a more traditional or rustic look, consider a fixture made of wood or metal.
Using Hanging Bedside Lights
Once you have chosen and installed your hanging bedside lights, there are a few tips to keep in mind for getting the most out of them:
- Use the right bulb: Choose a bulb that complements the type of lighting you want. LED bulbs are energy-efficient and provide a warm, soft light. Halogen bulbs are brighter and more focused, making them great for reading or working in bed.
- Angle the light properly: Adjust the light to suit your needs, whether that’s reading, relaxing or working. Make sure the light is not shining directly in your eyes, as this can cause discomfort or strain.
- Pair with other lighting sources: Consider using hanging bedside lights in combination with other lighting sources in your bedroom, such as ceiling or wall lights, to create a layered lighting effect that enhances the mood and atmosphere of your sleeping space.